Creating a Narrative on your Tableau dashboard
(1) Drag the "Extensions" object from the left sidebar into a Tableau dashboard in the desired location for the narrative. This action will open a dialog box prompting you to choose your extension.
(2) Select which worksheet on the dashboard you want to write a narrative about.
(3) Select which measures and dimensions you would like to include in the narrative.
(4) Identify the desired story type (discrete, continuous, percent of whole, or scatterplot).
(5) These steps will automatically generate a narrative. You can further configure your narrative by clicking the Settings Modal icon in the upper-left corner of the narrative. The Settings Modal will provide a guided experience for personalizing and contextualizing your narrative. At any point, you can choose to close the walkthrough and return to settings later by clicking the “back” arrow in the upper-right of the Settings Modal.
Other sections of this Help Center will explore the narrative customizations in detail, but this guide will provide an overview of how you can utilize this feature to get up and running with insightful and contextual narrative quickly.